A Travellerspoint blog

First day in ubud

The adventure begins

semi-overcast 30 °C

Had a great nights sleep in our giant bed. Very quiet location with only the sounds of birds and very little traffic noise. Breakfeast at the garah biru restarant next to hotel. Had awesome banana pancakes and jen some eggs and tomato. Jen has posted some pics. Very cool place. Back to the room before we head out to ubud town. Saw Gede (gidday) and sorted some stuff we are going to do and booked my volcano hike for monday morning. 2am pick up to reach the base of mountain. Then a 2 hour hike for a sunrise view. Cant wait.
Walked into ubud which took about 20 minutes. Spent the first half of trip dodging traffic as there is no footpath to walk on. Once we hit the main road it was footpath which had bit out of it everywhere. You need to keep your eye on where you are walking or you could easily trip over. Ubud is geared towards tourists. Traffic was at a standstill for most of the time as locals and tourists jockeyed for position on the narrow main street. Shops on the main street are for tourists and i dont think many locals would shop in them.
Jen and i went down an alley way and stumbled onto a large temple tucked away from the noise of the main street. Ahhh some quiet.
Then stopped at a bar for a cool drink and some people watching.
Had a weird experience while people watching. A guy stopped in front of us with a paper bag with holes in it. He made eye contact and reach into the bag. To jen and my horror he pulled out a baby owl. Its little eyes looked at us with sadness. Jen fired up. THAT SHOULD BE FREE. Then the guy bolted quick smart. Would have liked to get ot off him. Just goes to show there are dickheads all over the world.
Back to the hustle and we reached the local market which is a maze of narrow lanes selling everything and anything you could imagine. What is the fascination with giant penis bottle openers? Jen made her first purchase to break the ice. We had a look around and decided we will hit them in a few days.
Next stop was the bali fish spa. Here you get to put your feet in giant fish tanks and let fish suck dead skin from your feet. This is not as crazy as you think and very enjoyable. A lovely young girl washed down our feet then we had 20 minutes of small fish chowing down on our feet. After that 5 minutes of out feet having electrical currents pumped through them. Then a machine foot massage. Our feet felt great. AWESOME!






Taxi back to the hotel then some lunch at local warung, indo for food place. I had my first hit of satay, very good, and jen had crispy corn fritters, also very good. Washed down with some bintang.
Back to the hotel for a swim in the pool and more bintang and duty free alcohol.
Earlly night as we have to get up early for our cooking class.

Posted by andrewjenny 01:17 Archived in Indonesia Tagged bali indonesia ubud

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.